January 12, 2016

What's on the needles...

Since a good 6 months of last year was pretty much dedicated to knitting up Christmas gifts, I couldn't wait to cast on something I wanted to knit. It didn't necessarily mean that I would be knitting for myself but rather a skein of yarn that I wanted to try out. I had this skein of yarn in mind:



It's knitting up fairly well and the colors are pooling but the base is nice to work with :-) I'm unsure if I'll be knitting these for myself or if they will be going into a box for gifts this year but I have time to decide while I'm knitting them :-)

I've also been knitting on a sweater that my 2 girls can wear. I have a newborn and a 2 year old and ever since I saw these Merino Felt packs at the Calgary Fiber Arts Fair in November 2014 I've wanted to spin and knit them into a sweater :-)


I've been posting pictures on Instagram of my progress spinning each color last year. It was so cheerful to be spinning such bright colors! I ended up with a total of 537 yards of a sport weight / light DK weight yarn.


Once I'd spun them up I knew that they would make a fabulous sweater :-) Sol I couldn't wait until after my second little girl was born to cast on. Once we got into a routine with our newborn daughter and our toddler I was able to sneak in some knitting here and there ;-) I decided on the Elwood pattern by Jenny Wiebe and had decided to knit up the 2T size. I wanted to maximize the yardage I had since it was handspun.


I love how the yarn has a semi solid look to it! I'm quite pleased with how it's knitting up and how I spun it. I had spun once consistent thin single and then chain plied it to make the most of all the spun fiber.


I was able to get a good start on the yellow yesterday afternoon while my little girl is napping. I also was able to get my toddler to watch some children's shows on Netflix on the ipad :-) Which gave momma some knitting time :-) !! I'm in no hurry to finish either projects but I am going to spend a little time here and there knitting in between enjoying our growing family :-)

Happy Knitting :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment